Unboxing the Wii U with Saturo Iwata
The “Unboxing” ceremony is a treasured rite in Geekism, and one can find many boxes for many different occasions. But when the president of Nintendo gets involved, you’re immediately transported to another dimension.
WII U DETAILS
The Wii U, for those unaware, is the newest console from Nintendo. It succeeds the Wii, which had, at its release, revolutionized the gaming world with its new controller design created to respond to the players’ movement and position. In short, the only way to play was to move your butt…
The Wii U introduces yet another new element – a “touchpad” integrated into the controller itself with a remote screen.
After trying a few games (the New Super Mario Bros. U, Rayman: Legends, and Ninja Gaiden 3), I must admit that the tablet seems unnecessary.
It will take a few more games to see how it evolves…
The Wii U will be sold in 3 different packages: Basic, Deluxe (or Premium in Europe), and Premium Pack ZombiU (available only in Europe). The differences between the three are as follows:
- Colors: white (Basic); black (Deluxe); black (Premium Pack)
- Storage Capacity: 8GB (basic); 32GB (Deluxe and Premium Pack)
- Games: none (Basic); Nintendoland (Deluxe); Nintendoland and ZombiU (Premium)
- Accessories: none in Europe. Sensor Bar in US and Canada (Basic); GamePad Stand + GamePad Cradle + Console Stand + Wii U Controller Pro + Sensor Bar + Support (Deluxe and Premium)
- Price: €299, $299, £238 (Basic); €349, $349, £299 (Deluxe); €389, £349 (Premium – Europe Only)
The release date will be Friday, November 30th.
A perfect Christmas gift… for someone who’s NOT going around the world 2 months later!